by Myra Wood
by Catherine Flanagan
This past Monday, April 20th, Whetstone along with many other Columbus City Schools, lit up the football field for 20 minutes and 20 seconds at 8:20 pm (20:20 in military time) in honor of the senior class of 2020.
Governor Mike DeWine made the decision to proceed with online education for the rest of the year, meaning that the class of 2020 has already experienced their last day of school, and that their senior year is essentially over. While they still have online school, they will not be returning to the school for classes ever again.
Everyone who went was told to stay in their car in the parking lot and practice safe social distancing. The event was live-streamed on Facebook so everyone could watch, and those at home were encouraged to turn on their porch lights to help celebrate.
There was a good turnout to the parking lot, it started with everyone reuniting with their friends, a safe distance apart, and then everyone was encouraged to drive around the parking lot in a large circle. Students and parents drove around the parking lot a few times, honking their horns, and eventually returned to their original parking spots for the last few minutes.
At 8:40 pm the stadium lights were turned off and slowly everyone made their way out of the parking lot.
Even though their final year was cut short, this event offered closure for many seniors and was a way to remember their high school experience.
by Olivia Cobbs
Are you sick of feeling guilty and bloated after eating cheap pancake mix? Do you not eat dairy or gluten? Well look no further! This perfect dairy and gluten free pancake recipe will make you feel good and look cool! It is so incredibly easy and will take only 15 minutes out of your morning! This is also a perfect recipe to trick your kids into eating healthy. So get rid of that nasty pancake mix and let’s make something FRESH!!!
Let’s get out the ingredients!
- 1 small banana
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of maple syrup
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut whipped cream (You can find this at Trader Joes!)
- Take out a smoothie blender! Put the banana, rolled oats, egg, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and maple syrup into the blender until the ingredients are THOROUGHLY mixed.
- Once the ingredients are completely mixed, get out a griddle and lightly grease it so that the pancakes don’t stick. When the pancakes are ready to flip they should have bubbles on the top and have cooked edges.
- The pancakes cook fast so be watchful! Once they are ready they should be golden brown and cooked all of the way through. This recipe makes about four small pancakes so it’s perfect for one hungry person! Now that all of the pancakes are finished start getting excited!
- Get your toppings out! Heat up some maple syrup and cut up some fresh fruit. Place on the plate as desired. Make it look fancy! UNSUPPORTED: UnsupportedElementAdd some coconut whipped cream to complete the awesomeness!
- Voila! You did it! Take a moment and feel great about yourself. You just made something awesome AND healthy! Now sit down and enjoy the amazing breakfast you just made. You deserve this!
by Avery Hughes